Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Blog Post 6: Research


Image result for after the hurricane saint martin sint maartenMy research on Saint Martin/ Sint Maarten has lead me to things I didn't know before. An example of this is that though the island is nicknamed the "friendly" island, it did not have a "friendly" past. It was difficult to find any information in the beginning, because unfortunately, the island is not as well known as the others in the Caribbean. However, I was able to discover some new details about the people living there, like the traditions they have, such as Saint Martin's day or Old Halloween. The day represents a French legend about a Roman bishop who was kind to the others and shared his clothes with a beggar in the middle of winter. I also learned about the corruption issue in Saint Martin/ Sint Maarten they had after the hurricane, which encouraged me to research more about their government in the past. That's where I found out that their history shows a different version of Saint Martin/ Sint Maarten than what it is today. I plan on researching the government's effect on its people next.

No comments:

Post a Comment